Want to play your part in supporting climate solutions? Ashden is looking for two trustees, with expertise in energy access in Africa or in sustainable cities.
Ashden’s mission is to accelerate transformative climate solutions and to build a more just world. Through our prestigious annual awards scheme, we find and share inspiring climate action solutions that will help accelerate the shift to a fairer, low carbon world.
This is a fabulous opportunity to join a smart and committed group of board members at a critical time for the climate and to guide Ashden as we seek to grow our impact.
We are keen to increase diversity on our board. In particular we are looking for women to ensure the right gender balance. We also want the board to reflect the geographies and sectors in which we work. Much of our work is in the developing world and emerging economies with a focus on India and Africa, as well as in the UK.
Therefore, we would like to recruit two trustees with appropriate knowledge and experience:
1. Someone with a focus on climate solutions in Africa, ideally with a background in and understanding of energy access for marginalised communities.
2. Someone with a good understanding of local and national UK Government that is relevant to developing sustainable cities and schools.
What makes you a good trustee?
- A commitment to Ashden and its mission.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Strategic vision; Good, independent judgement and a willingness to speak your mind; An ability to think creatively.
- Experience or demonstrable understanding of the role of a trustee, including an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
We are looking for expertise in some of these areas:
- A good understanding of and interest in sustainable energy.
- International development experience in the not-for-profit, social enterprise, governmental or donor community, in Africa; including in transport and energy access, or in the sectors of health, agriculture, cooling or livelihoods.
- Relevant UK, EU and international policy relating to climate change and creating sustainable cities.
- An entrepreneurial background particularly in innovation in digital/clean tech. Good understanding/experience of social change/innovation and how small and medium sized companies work.
- Experience of developing and growing new businesses. Experience in finance, impact investing, PE, VC or mainstream.
- Fundraising experience, contacts and networks.
- Experience of participating in an awards scheme is also welcome!
To apply for one of these exciting opportunities, please send your CV with a one page covering note explaining why you are interested to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications should reach us by 10 August 2020.